About Our Business
Moyher & Schultz, Inc. first opened its doors in 1953 as a lumber
mill and pressure treating plant after purchasing the old Jamison 20
mine office and shops near Pleasant Unity.
Now as the firm marks its 59th anniversary, the company is
completely different than the firm founded by John W. Moyher and
Carl “Huck” Schultz. Shortly after their incorporation, a sawmill fire
occurred that left them in financial disarray. Hard work and
determination along with the foresight to diversify helped these men
get through the early years. In 1956, they added an International
Harvester farm equipment dealership. In the meantime, Huck
Schultz, working with Pittsburgh historical architect, Charles Stotz,
supervised a restoration crew provided by Moyher & Schultz, Inc.
to rebuild Fort Ligonier and other historical parcels in the Ligonier
and western Pennsylvania area.
With farm equipment selling well in the 1950’s and 1960’s, the business added light industrial equipment to their product line
as the business prospered. Many still remember the hundreds who came to the annual “Pancake Day” which began in 1956
and was held each spring for a decade. Moyher & Schultz, Inc. Introduced the new spring equipment line and invited
clients and friends to a pancake and sausage feast in the office and shop area.
In 196l, lawn, garden, and outdoor power equipment joined the product mix. Today, Moyher & Schultz, Inc. with a DBA of
Moyher Lawn & Garden is a dealer, service, and parts center for Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, MTD, and Echo outdoor power
equipment. Everything from power mowers, lawn & garden tractors, trimmers, and chain saws can be purchased at the
In 1970, with restoration projects occupying much of his time, Huck Schultz decided to sell his interest in the business to
John W. Moyher. Although they were no longer business partners, they remained loyal friends until 1982 when Mr. Schultz
In 1988, Amish storage barns, sheds, gazebos along with Amish outdoor furniture and wood lawn ornaments were added.
Mr. Moyher retired in 1990 and his son John (Jack) Moyher, Jr., who had worked in the store and shop since he was a
youngster, assumed ownership and management along with his wife, Janet.
Their experience with the quality and craftsmanship of the Amish prompted the second generation Moyher’s to add more
wooden furniture, crafts and gifts and in 1994 another DBA as Amish Crafts & Gift Shop. This shop features a showroom
and warehouse well-stocked with many Amish items including oak furniture, lawn furniture, benches, stools, bread boxes,
cedar chests, corner cupboards, dry sinks, glider rockers, butter churns, hand carved gun cabinets and mirrors, windmills,
light houses, bird feeders, children’s wagons, mail boxes, jams & jellies, and “plain people” pictures, candles, hickory
rockers and many other items. “Forever Baskets” that are designed for floral landscaping are in good supply at their shop
along with “Rustic” and Poly” furniture lines.
John (Jack) and Janet Moyher’s interest in the outdoors is reflected in a new business entity, Black Rock Deer Farm, which
is located on the adjoining property. Licensed as a propagator and monitored by the Department of Agriculture, Moyher’s
deer herd now numbers thirty and plans to add additional new fawns in May in cooperation with their current breeding plans.
|Thank you for allowing us to do the work we Love! Offering Amish Select Gifts & Crafts hand picked just for you! Jack & Janet Moyher
|Amish Crafts & Gift Shop at
Moyher Lawn & Garden
|Heading to the Amish Crafts & Gift Shop at Moyher Lawn & Garden